Understanding Attitude with help parents better able to guide their child who is dealing with bullying.
Do you remember your parents saying "Don't give me attitude" Or my favourite "You better change your attitude little lady !!" Do you have any idea what that even meant?? I never did until I started really researching and looking at how we as parents can help either the child who is bullied or the child who is bullying others.
Attitude is the alignment of your thoughts, feelings and actions. How you express your "attitude" is about your integrity.
You have integrity when what you say based on your feelings matches your actions.
What we say based on what we feel followed up with actions.
Kids who bully or are being bullied have a grown accustomed to a certain attitude.
Our job is to help them with understanding attitude and help them make small shifts away from their current attitude into more integrity.
1) It is your attitude at the beginning of a task more than anything else that will determine your success or failure.
2) It is your attitude towards life that will determine life's attitude toward you. Depsite many peoples belief to the contrary, life play no favorites.
3) You control your attitude. If you are negative it is because you have decided to be negative and not because of other people or circumstances.
4) Act as if you have a good attitude. Remember actions trigger feelings just as feelings trigger actions.
5) Before a person can achicve the kind of result they want, they must first become that person. They must then think, walk, talk, act and conduct themselves in all their affairs, as would the person they wish to become.
You will often here me say "ACT as IF" or "fake it till ya make it" Here is a perfect example.
If your child is being bullied discuss how he would think, walk, talk, act as if he were not. Difficult to feel the courage and confidence and not have others feel it as well.
Same is true for a child who is bullying. Have him act as if he did not bully by thinking, walking, talking and acting as if he were feeling tolerance and kindness.
6) Treat everybody as the most important person in the world.
7) Attitudes are based on assumptions. In order to chnage attitudes one myst first change one's assumptions.
8) Develope the attitude that there are more reasons why you should succeed than reasons why you should fail.
9)When you are faced with a problem, adopt the attitude that you can and will solve it.
10) We become what we think about. Control your thouhgts and you will control your life.
11) Radiate the attitude of confidence of well being of a person who knows where they are going. You will then find good things happening to you right away.
12) In order to develop a good attitude take charge first thing in the morning.
Understanding attitude is the first step to helping modify and adjust it to work better with your life. Talk to a few good friends or family and ask them to tell you a few of your strengths. The characteristics that make you great. Write them on a sticky note, cue card or paper and stick somewhere you will see them first thing in the morning. This will start your day off on a positive note. Then spend your day acting as if and watch how amazingly your day unfolds.
Help your child understand what attitude and integrity are. Make some adjustments and see if assisting your child to a greater understanding attitude helps with the bullying situation and beyond.